Tuesday, March 31, 2015

BIRDMAN (2014) - Alejandro González Iñárritu

Eleven Michael Keaton flicks and one month later, I still can't believe Birdman won Best Picture and the man himself got bupkis for Best Actor. It's such a career defining performance. Forget the career aspect...it's just a legendary performance. As for movie itself, seen a second time, what an oddball choice for Best Picture. Birdman at its core is so anti-Hollywood while being all about old school Hollywood razzle dazzle (those long takes and tracking shots). Except for the ending. I'm still not crazy about the ending. But then what do I know? What do any critics know? Or awards show voters? I'd hoped to end MK month on a calmer, less tantrum-infused "Vine," but I have to admit this moment below is my favorite Birdman Keaton moment.



Here's a bonus "Super Vine" I put together. I call it Enter Billy Blaze, Exit Birdman: Or the Unexpected Virtue of Re-watching 11 Michael Keaton Films in One Month.


No comments: