Sunday, January 09, 2011

CHOPPER (2000) - Andrew Dominik


When it comes to single moniker prison celebrities, I'll take Bronson over Chopper any day. I'd heard from multiple sources for the last ten years that this was a movie I should see. I finally got around to it last night, and it just wasn't working for me from the first fifteen minutes. By the hour mark I was fighting off sleep. By an hour and five, I had lost the fight.

Maybe it was the muted color scheme that's been done to death (perhaps fresher in Y2K). Maybe it's the celebrity criminal thing. Maybe it's because I suspect Tom Hardy could kick Eric Bana's ass two-times. I'm not sure. I dug Andrew Dominik's follow-up to this, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, and his upcoming Cogan's Trade sounds like a winner. But, last night, Chopper just felt like a slow shiv to the stomach. Maybe I'll give it a second try in another dime's time.

No comments: