Saturday, April 17, 2010

CONAN THE BARBARIAN (1982) - John Milius


There was a time in the early '80s when I was SO geeked to see this movie and SO not-allowed because of my tender young age that I had to resort to reading the Conan movie novelization instead (even sadder, I did the same for Rambo: First Blood, Part II). Needless to say, I was less geeked revisiting it last night, though not entirely disappointed.

Some juicy scenes still worth savoring: Young Conan watching a dog (wearing armor!) eat his dead father's entrails. Young Conan holding his mother's hand while her head gets lopped off. Adult Conan getting busy with a sultry witch who turns into a vampire during coitus and then into a pork rind when Conan throws her into the fire (I'm betting this was an Oliver Stone addition to the script). Plus, every scene James Earl Jones is in, especially the one where he turns into a giant snake.

No comments: