Monday, February 15, 2010

THE MONKEY HUSTLE (1976) - Arthur Marks


Don't get me wrong. I loves me some Yaphet Kotto. His demise by way industrial paint sprayer in Blue Collar is one of the best unjust death scenes in any movie ever. But I can in no way recommend spending much time with him in The Monkey Hustle. The only hustle of note going on in Hustle is the movie itself (or better yet, its ad campaign). Kotto plays a 'hood-wise Fagin to a bunch of Windy City street orphans, an interesting jumping off point. Except none of the scams he teaches them seem to net any money, and everyone seems absolutely ebullient to be living in poverty. If The Monkey Hustle was your only entry point into ghetto life, you might be booking a direct flight to Chicago's South Side on Expedia as we speak. Don't get monkey-hustled like I did.

No comments: